Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A report on Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Report

Toxicodendron radicans


          On June 5, I wrote of an incident on that day when I came in contact with Poison Ivy while harvesting Horsetail along a bike trail. (see June 5 Post) I crushed some nearby Jewelweed between my hands and rinsed them off in the river. I am now reporting that no outbreak of irritation or blisters has occurred in fifty-six hours since contact, and I assume a reaction will not occur. Not only is this a relief to me, but I am happy to know how to respond to a brush with Poison Ivy away from home, providing that Jewelweed is in the vicinity. Even if flowing water had not been available, the Jewelweed may have been a viable antidote to the toxic oil of the Poison Ivy. This thought is supported by Euell Gibbons in his book Stalking the Healthful Herbs. Does this mean I can be carefree around Poison Ivy as long as Jewelweed is near? By no means. But the implication is that if by accident or carelessness I contact the plant, I can have confidence that use of Jewelweed will likely prevent a severe reaction. When hiking from spring through fall, it would be wise to take some Jewelweed juice along. The plant can be crushed and steeped in water, allowed to steam down in volume, then taken in a break-proof container. The juice will not keep for more than a day out of the fridge and a new batch would need to be made for each trip. Ice cubes can be prepared for prolonged storage at home and taken along on a hike. A small bar of soap may also be a good thing to have on a hike.
          I will admit to being paranoid about Poison Ivy. To me it’s as hazardous as a venomous snake. However, as with a poisonous snake, the toxic plant has a role to play in the ecology of our planet. Every plant contains chemicals that ward off feeding creatures. Poison Ivy, if it were to have a personality or spirit, could be said to be as paranoid of being consumed as I am of being chemically burned. So I don’t hate the plant, I am cautious about it. I have read today that about 80% of humans react to the toxic chemical in Poison Ivy. But a butterfly will land on the plant to seek protection from predators. I have never seen a butterfly land on Poison Ivy, but now I will be looking for that. Poison Ivy can grow to the point of producing greenish/white berries that contain seeds which are eaten by birds, usually in the late fall. The seeds pass through the gut of a feeding bird and are dropped off to grow. 

 Poison Ivy Berries – in late spring



**************

          My brief research on Poison Ivy has left me curious about possible uses for its effective chemical, Urushiol Oil. Don’t quote me on this, but I think I saw a brief reference to a connection between chemotherapy and urushiol. I need to check on that. Who knows – maybe Poison Ivy can be a healing herb if used properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment