Thursday, May 19, 2011

4/20 '08

On April 20, 2008, my grandaughter Audriana and I ate in Nashua, New Hampshire at the restaurant Villa Banca. Both of us wrote a poem as we ate on outside tables. Today she sent me four photographs she took during our meal that I haven’t seen before. I was surprised at how the photographs unintentionally illustrate my poem. So, here’s the poem a month late for any celebratory significance, broken up by her photographs.

4/20 ‘08
A holyday unknown
to me until today.
4/20 Feast of Cannibis
celebrated at Villa Banca Restaurant,
one time a bank,
granite stone cut into the corner
of East Pearl and Main.
“Welcome to Villa Banca.
Please see hostess inside
for patio dining.”




Black metallic mesh table and chairs
under white umbrella,
sunny side of street, 
sunlight glistening
glittering off water condensed
onto crystal goblets on Boston Red Sox
2007 World Series paper coasters.
4:30PM service on 4/20 holyday
on a white triangular plate.
Grilled chicken tenders
in sweet teriyaki sauce glaze,
thinnest fried onion rings ever made.
Sweet strings coil into my mouth
with alfalfa sprouts.
 “How we doing over here? Still working on the chicken tenders?”
“Yes.” On 4/20 holyday.
But the teriyaki is beginning to taste too salty.
Can’t get over this place was once a bank.


There’s a large square clock above my head,
from the old days, with inner clock-works.
I watch the hands move to 5 and 30.
Finished working on my chicken tenders.
Studying the “Afterwards” menu.


I remember now, 40 years ago,
in the birth town of my daughter,
when I first saw this building,
fascinated by the grey cylindrical tower on one corner.



“Lemon Lust Pie.”
Tantalizing fresh squeezed lemon filled
fluffy cream cheese.
I’ll have that on 4/20.


Dennis Fredrick Evans

Photographs by Audriana


No comments:

Post a Comment