Friday, May 13, 2011

Tilton, New Hampshire in Images

My wife and I moved to Tilton, New Hampshire three years ago. Only recently have I gone walking through the downtown, village part of the township. I’ve been through Tilton many times over the years, but now I want to share with everyone what I learn about this town from a closer look. I’ll start off with a short mystery tour.



This statue of what I presume to be a goddess, next to Winnisquam Regional High School near the west end of town, was sculpted in 1882. There are several of these marble statues on granite bases in town and I have no idea yet what they mean. Their presence indicates a glorious and wealthy past. Yet…




...this is the backside, the river side of Downtown Tilton. That large brown building looks like an old factory building. But on the street side there are retail stores. Some of the buildings on Main Street have apartments being lived in. I’m not sure about this one.


And right across the river is a backyard pen with two goats. What’s with that? Directly across from the house with the goats is a grade school. (No picture of the grade school yet.) And just a slight, five-minute climb up a hill from here is this thing!



Tilton has its version of the Arc de Triomphe?


Maybe this explains it. Mary Baker Eddy slept here.





But what explains this?






We're past the Gilded Age. Everyone used to get dressed up in suits or dresses when they went out. In the cities at least. Look at old photos of baseball games. The male fans wore a shirt and tie. Even the umpire wore a suit!


1 comment:

  1. This was very nicely done. It made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete