Monday, May 30, 2011

Black & White Photography

Today I begin featuring my black-and-white photography. The images were not taken with a digital camera in color and then converted to B&W with the push of a button. They were not touched up on a computer. These photographs were made with a cellulose film camera and printed in a chemical darkroom I built in 1994, four years into a fifteen year effort to succeed in professional photography…an effort that failed. I had some minor artistic success, but my goal of making a living from my photography wasn’t realized. Perhaps someday I’ll explain why I think I failed. I should. There are life-lessons to be learned from the affair. My decision to stop making “artistic” images was based in both emotion and logic.

This first set of images is of flowers I photographed in a completely dark room. Several flashlights were aimed at specific points on the plants. The background is black velvet. An exception to these is the print of the Hibiscus, which is a straight print from a color slide onto black-and-white printing paper.

*******************




Daffodil





Amaryllis





Lily of the Valley





Bleeding Hearts






Hibiscus




*******************

No comments:

Post a Comment