Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tilton, New Hampshire in Images

Well…I’m humbled. I spent several hours today researching the history of Tilton, starting with the story of Mary Baker Eddy. Then the subject just blew up from there, like the Big Bang that began our Universe, so we’re told. Just take a deep breath, Dennis. No need to rush. Let the Helium coalesce into planets. In today’s post, I want to focus on the building that is presently the most colorful on Main Street. And I will after I mention five bits of history: Tilton was once named Sanbornton Bridge, which was part of the town of Sanbornton, which was established in 1769. In 1869, a group of Sanbornton Bridge citizens successfully petitioned the town of Sanbornton and received State approval to create the town of Tilton. The new town was named after Nathaniel Tilton, who built the area’s first hotel and an iron factory. Yes, I must mention that Tilton was once a prosperous mill town along the Winnipesaukee River. Nathaniel’s grandson Charles E. Tilton, who got his first wealth by prospecting for gold out West, built that huge granite arch on the hill and many other significant structures. But enough! Enough history for now. There are many details to work out. For instance, many people think the town was named after Charles Tilton, not Nathaniel. The situation is chaotic. But I see that there is a great story to gel.

Here’s the colorful building I’m talking about…yes from yesterday’s pictures.



















Now here is the front of the building. Behind the building, across the river and up that tree-covered hill is the Tilton Arch, named after Charles E. Tilton. I found out today that the arch is actually in the town of Northfield. Now I need to go into the thickets and find the borders of Tilton and Northfield, and the history of those borders. 


The business there is Gemini Health Emporium. It’s a health food store. As may be guessed, the shop is far different than a GNC vitamin and supplement store.  I’ve been in twice since living in town and had some conversation with the proprietor. The last time I was in, he showed me how he makes sauerkraut in the back room. Yep – ferments it right there in several large, clay crock pots. He sells it to a ready clientele. I’m not fond of sauerkraut, but many are. This store is a sauerkraut lover’s delight. One wall in the store has shelves covered with large glass jars of dried herbs. Other shelves carry raw honey and other good food written on the show window. There’s more to report and I must visit to get names and more impressions.

   



I believe this psychedelic building has a peculiar story to tell. I found a detail in my research today that hints of something suspicious. I’ll dig into it. But for the rest of today I want to do some artistic crop work with the backside of this building.









Painted to catch the eye of a touring bumblebee!



For a good article on Tilton, check out Wikipedia’s. It was surprisingly informative. I looked at the website of the Tilton Main Street Program too. I have more to say about Mary Baker Eddy and will cite a good website.


No comments:

Post a Comment